Dara (besides having probably the most mispronounced name at CFNoCo) has been inspiring members new and old everyday! She is always up for a challenge and even when she is barely breathing from her finish – she will turn right around and cheers on whoever is still going. We are proud to have her as an athlete at CrossFit North County and honored to have her as March’s ATOM.
Here is more about our athlete!
1) What is your athletic background? Back in the glory days I played basketball – all the way through high school. I went to a small college and ended up joining the cross country team. Thank goodness they didn’t cut people from the team. I could barely run a block without gasping for air and I also didn’t have the proper running shoes (my friends that I eventually made were the first to point that out to me), but I stuck with it and progressively got better at distance running during the three years I was on the team.
2) What do you do for a living? I am a finance manager at Boeing. I started working there just a few months after graduating college and have been there for a little over 15 years now (Wow! That makes me feel old).
3) How long have you been doing CrossFit? I purchased a groupon in late December 2014 and started foundations in January 2015. At first I only went 2x per week but changed to unlimited membership after maybe 4 months or so in. I try to make it 4 or 5 times per week and seriously feel guilty if I miss 2 days!
4) Have you trained before? Do Team Beachbody videos count? I’ve done Insanity, T25, PiYo, Hip Hop Abs (lol)…I was a pretty good customer of theirs before finding CrossFit. I also continued with my running after college and ran a half marathon in 2014 (never again). I like CrossFit because of the variety. It’s alot of the same movements but always mixed up with other movements, so it never feels like the same workout twice. I also HATED weights before CrossFit. I thought weight rooms were ridiculous but I that that was mainly because I never knew what to do.
5) Favorite Movement? Do I have to pick just one? One of my favorites are deadlifts…just because I think it’s fun to load up a bar with lots of weight and feel like I am a real bad a** when I can pick it up and then drop it to the ground and it makes a loud sound. I like Thrusters too – I love squats (even though I continue to work on proper depth) and the explosive overhead push. I could go on and on here…why didn’t you ask about least favorite movement?
6) Favorite WOD? I had to think about this, but I think I really like any type of Chipper WOD.
7) Favorite CrossFit moment? Besides AOTM honors?!? There really have been so many in the time I’ve been doing this. I think one of the most notable / favorite was doing the 2-day Greater Gateway Games Team competition with AJ, Eric and Erin last August. I don’t think of myself as a fierce competitor, but there really is something fun and magical about a big team competition format like that. I was really nervous because I didn’t want to let any of them down. Some of the workouts had movements in them that I wasn’t totally comfortable with (overhead squats and the poor guys had to do so many pull-ups), but I made it through and we didn’t finish last. I even suprised myself by hitting a PR on my Power Snatch. I think one of the best things for me personally, is that Ican look back and am certain I’ve improved in many areas since then.
8) What is one of your main goals for CrossFit? To have rock hard ABS! I know they exist under my belly roll(s)! Honestly though I just want to continue to get better in my form & technique (so the PRs will follow) and conquer movements I can’t do. I did make myself a list of specific goals this year that included a new Deadlift & Backsquat PR, as well as pullups and double unders, so I’ll at least be able to see how I do against those things during the year.
9) What do you do outside of the box that is going to help your performance inside the box? Probably not my ability to play hard. Despite the fact that I do enjoy a girly cocktail, margarita or craft beer here and there, I have been working harder this year on my overall diet. I’ve got the discipline to exercise down, so it’s been a struggle but I’ve been really trying to make better food choices – which has included planning / prepping weekly meals on Sundays. I also wanted to pick back up some occasional shorter distance running…and now that the weather is nicer – I hope to be able to get some of that in.
10) What do you enjoy on your leisure time? See #9! I enjoy spending time with my kids, movies, anything outdoor and traveling!
11) What advice would you give a new CrossFitter? Two things – Listen to your coaches and embrace the suck (it never goes away but you get better at pushing past the comfort zone)!
12) Any final thoughts on CrossFit? I absolutely love CrossFit and our community at North County! I know that both have helped me tremendously over the last year and 3 months. I think it’s been an incredible journey so far and I look forward to all the great things that are yet to happen.